Help with Base + TS Conf double configuration

Железо, связанное с TS-Conf

Postby weirdocollector » Wed, 03.01.2018 16:07:37

Hi everybody, and Happy New Year :)

During this holidays, I've finally found the time to update my ZX EVO to the dual config TS + Base, also in order to be able to use Zi-Fi.

I've followed the instructions on this forum (http://forum.tslabs.info/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=189), the update seems to have worked, but I have encountered a problem that do not allow me to use TS-Conf.

Starting from Base EVO with 60Hz VGA, when I press Alt+Ctrl+F12, the system seems to switch to TS-Conf, but no image is displayed because my monitor says that it does not recognize the VGA signal frequency.

I've tried pressing ScrLock and Shift+ScrLock while in this mode, but nothing appears on screen (the ScrLock LED on the keyboard goes on and off correctly).

Pressing again Alt+Ctrl+F12 the EVO returns regularly to Base EVO, and the VGA 60Hz screen is displayed back.

Pressing Menu+F3 from the EVO Base, the screen switches from 50Hz to 60Hz VGA and back as expected.

When in EVO Base screen the following versions are displayed:

ZxEvo&Base 10.06.2017 beta

ZxEvoAVRBoot 23.01.2012

Are those correct ?

Why TS-Conf is not displayed at 60Hz as Base ?

Should I use the SCART cable ?

Thanks a lot for any help ! :)

Fabio.
(Milan - ITALY)
weirdocollector

Postby TS-Labs » Thu, 04.01.2018 09:08:11

weirdocollector wrote:Starting from Base EVO with 60Hz VGA

It is only supported in Baseconf. TS-Conf only supports 49Hz vertical timing. Due to lack of chip capacity it was impossible to add 60Hz timing mode to TS-Conf. Anyway, most of demos won't work in 60Hz mode, so it would be almost useless.
TS-Labs

Postby weirdocollector » Thu, 04.01.2018 19:14:31

Thanks !

I've solved making myself a SCART cable, even if the image in TS-Conf mode is not as good as in Baseconf (at least on my monitor).

I'm now convinced I've got to buy a compatible monitor (I'm lookin at a Samsung SyncMaster 941MP, that I've found listed in the pdf of ZXEVO compatible monitors), that I'll use anyway with all my retrocomputers :)

Thanks again, and keep up the great work !
weirdocollector

Postby TS-Labs » Fri, 05.01.2018 04:03:12

SyncMaster 940b is also a perfect solution.
TS-Labs

Postby weirdocollector » Fri, 05.01.2018 16:31:55

TS-Labs wrote:SyncMaster 940b is also a perfect solution.

Thanks for the info ! :)

I'll probably get a Samsung SyncMaster 941MP, as it also have SCART and composite inputs, which will allow me to use the monitor a a dislay form my many retrocomputers :yes:

Thanks again.
weirdocollector

Postby DDp » Sat, 06.01.2018 11:22:02

weirdocollector wrote:I'll probably get a Samsung SyncMaster 941MP, as it also have SCART and composite inputs, which will allow me to use the monitor a a dislay form my many retrocomputers :yes:

SCART-RGB - it’s ideal for (analogue) TV with CRT, but for LCD it can be not so. It it will be fine to work with a DVD-player, but not with the computer.

I have SyncMaster941MP and I can tell about behavior of RGB mode:

TV/AV/S-Video/RGB ==> Component-separator to Y,Cb,Cr ==> 2D-processing ==> Scaler ==> LCD panel

1. Signal RGB is processed the same as signals TV, AV and S-Video. (Color is blur for alone pixels)

2. The progressive signal (288p) is interpreted as interlaced (576i). (Picture jitter)

3. TV signals are digitized with sample rate about 13.5 MHz. (The HiRes-font in text mode ZX-Evo is deformed)

4. For TV-modes scaler always display 50 frames per second (60 for NTSC) nonsynchronously with an input signal.

I have no complaints for VGA. :ok2: SyncMaster-s accept non-standard signals. Good bilinear scaler (shows synchronously with frequency of an input signal).

SCART-RGB - это идеально для (аналогового) телевизора с ЭЛТ, но для ЖК это может быть не так. Он будет прекрасно работать с DVD-плеером, но не с компьютером.

У меня есть SyncMaster 941MP и могу рассказать про особенности RGB режима:

1. Сигнал RGB обрабатывается так же, как сигналы TV, AV и S-Video.
941MP имеет общий, не отключаемый 2D-обработчик для всех ТВ-подобных сигналов. Это хорошо удаляет цветовые поднесущие для TV и AV, не имеет большого влияния для S-Video, но заметно на идеальном сигнале RGB (отдельные цветные пиксели в кртинках или HiRes-шрифт в текстовом режиме ZX-Evo).

2. Сигнал прогрессивной развёртки воспринимается как черезстрочный.
941MP имеет простой деинтерлейсер - его просто нет ;) Поля показываются отдельно, 50 полей в сек. Так из сигнала с прогрессивной развёрткой первое поле отобразится сдвинутым на полпикселя вверх, второе - на полпикселя вниз. В результате изображение дрожит по вертикали.

3. ТВ сигналы оцифровываются с частотой 13.5 МГц (я не иследовал точное значение, но не думаю, что оно будет отличатся от рекомендованного в ITU-R BT.601). Искажается HiRes-шрифт в текстовом режиме ZX-Evo.

4. Для ТВ режимов scaler всегда показывает 50 кадров в сек. (60 для NTSC) несинхронно с входным сигналом. Так на ZX-Evo бегущие строки будут дергаться раз в сек.

Что касается VGA входа - у меня претензий нет. SyncMaster-ы хорошо воспринимают нестандартные сигналы. Хороший билинейный scaler. Какое-то время был моим основным рабочим монитором, теперь на кухне - как телевизор.
D356 47C0 35F8 F55E 8A52 A88F F3F8 B003 03EB 3D7F
DDp

Postby weirdocollector » Sat, 06.01.2018 20:59:49

Thanks for the precious info !

I'll get me a 941MP for sure :)
weirdocollector

Return to Hardware